Tuesday 20 September 2016

The CEO of my family

Last week, during a session, a client thanked me for being a good listener. A GOOD LISTENER! Wow. I closed the door and kept thinking and thinking and then I went into a mini vacation rewind mode. There is nothing more important to me than being a good listener. NOTHING. I get it. Listening is hard. Listening well is a skill, one that takes practice to improve. A 
person can only listen if they are focused, open minded, patient, interested, and humble. Five years ago my Husband and me signed a business deal and brought this CEO to our family. Our son Mr. V as they call him. This CEO with no business suit literally took over my position. Most often its the women in the family trying to run a house the chores especially. Imagine a CEO who just comes and changes the policies left right and center :) Oh Boy! This CEO put us on a schedule a schedule that ran 24/7 literally. From making meals for him every 3 hours and setting it to the right temperature, to the not so long - short naps where even the sound of a burp would disturb the CEO s most important task 'Naptime' my husband and I only had the time to look into each other 's faces with a punch me attitude if anyone of us tried to wake him up.


Not to forget the busy CEO had so many employees working for him (The maids, Cook, Driver,etc etc ) and  other business partners (grandparents) that our door bells would constantly be ringing which may disturb the nap time for Mr CEO and our angry faces would turn like Planet Mars literally ready to punch each other and the employees at the door. Picture us as working on our laptops, scratching our heads and trying to grapple some work done and the door bell rings.... The CEO would wake up with loud screeches and scream his lungs out and the we'd sprint from the living room into his bedroom ready to grab him and ask him what he'd like for the next meal. The maid tries to calm him down with the rattle that makes it even worse sometimes.

Days pass and years pass and we move to the west to the US and Mr CEO moves to a higher designation 'Super CEO' I'd like to say  .... And he gets a new car, a car with no wheels essentially a car seat and his schaufers us of course drive him around wherever he'd like to go. Occasionally he'd like to scream sitting there when there is too much traffic sometimes tossing the bottle of milk that has hit the drivers head accidentally ahem so I'd like to say. Then comes a new office for the CEO when he graduates to age 3 preschool and daycare and come daycare  comes sickness and infections.

 'Leaves' or 'Day off 'which he is allowed at Day cares leisurely but our Bosses here in the West do not believe in sick leaves which we have to manage to work out from our PTO days so to say.... Alrite and then Mr CEO in his toddlerhood had a executive gym called the playground or park where a bunch of other 2 - 3 year old CEO s gather together and scream without any agenda and jump and cry and do everything they want to they are CEO s afterall. They know to let it loose pretty much and say at the end of the meeting 'All work and no play makes a not so good CEO'.

Graduating from Toddler to Preschool to Pre- Kindergarten ,today this CEO is a tough Boss. He has taught me  to be focused, open minded, patient, interested, and humble and above all he has taught me good listening skills. Although he is a tough Boss with a lot of opinion we love him dearly.Now comes the challenge to instill listening skills in the CEO himself  and that is not a brand new chapter of my life I've been altering this goal every now and then but remember I'm focused, open minded, patient, interested, and humble ;) 
Thanks for reading... :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment